Friday, October 19, 2007

So at my doc appointment the other day, my blood pressure was high. The doctor asked if I ever get a break and I replied "No". She then proceeds to ask my husband if he can give me a break from things. No reply on my husbands part.

We are having a serious behavior problem with Grace. She has become very aggressive. Our arms look like we were in a cat fight. She has also started screaming at the top of her lungs when we are out somewhere. I mean the kind of screams that will harm your hearing. She gives the same reaction when she is told no or I have to take something away from her. Today was a scream fest when I tried to get her down for a nap. I kept thinking, surely she will just stop crying and screaming eventually to fall asleep. No, she just got more hysterical.

Just had to take a break because of another episode. Attacking my face and pulling my hair, then the deafening screams. NOTHING is working. Not ignoring it or telling her to stop. I don't know what to do.......HELP!

2 comments:

Carey said...

Sorry about your toddler troubles. I have always thought ignoring the bad behavior worked, but maybe not in this case.

My Brother swears by Shared Ventures. www.sharedventures.net/home/
maybe just visit the forum for help.

I am also a big fan of Dr. Harvey Karp and the Super Nanny books. I wish you luck and when you figure out what works, please share! I could be in your boat someday.

Kellan said...

I would suggest distraction. If you are trying to get her to take a nap and she keeps screaming and such, maybe music in the room or toys in the bed (safe toys). If she's screaming in the store, give her something to play with or write on or make noise with (they love making noise, but it's better than screaming). We used to just let the kids play with the salt and pepper shakers or butter pads when we were in a restaurant, just because it worked. It wasn't such a big deal and we were able to get through a dinner without many episodes. Distraction. Sometimes it just takes time to figure out what it will be that will distract them and what you are willing to allow. They are always trying to stretch their wings - become independent - test their boundaries. Remember that those boundaries need to slowly widen, just figure out how to allow that and still get the behavior you want. Like I have any idea what I am talking about. Good luck. And I hope your husband starts giving you a break as well - we all need that help. See ya.