Saturday, February 20, 2010

Why? How?

This is what went through my mind after my mom got diagnosed with ovarian cancer. But, truth be told, I knew why and how. So did she. She has been taking hormone replacement therapy for years. And the really crappy part of it? She quit them a month before she was diagnosed. I had been begging her to stop them for years. But, she just kept saying that she would when she retired.

There have been several studies that have proven a link between estrogen therapy and ovarian cancer.

Have you seen the Electrolux ads online lately? The ones with Kelly Ripa? Well if you click here and decorate a cake and send it to a friend, Electrolux will donate $1 to ovarian cancer research.
So, please click on this daily for a great cause.

Each time you decorate a cake you are automatically entered to win an Electrolux induction range.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I'm going to pass that link around to a few people I know. I know a lot of women were so desperate to avoid hot flashes and such that they have gone that route during menopause, but this is a good reason to not take the chance of messing with hormones.

A friend of ours who passed away a little over a year ago had been desperate to have children in the 70's, and tried some of the first, untested (read: megadoses) of hormonal therapies intended to try and get her pregnant. It never worked, but she blamed her three bouts with cancer on that...it started off as breast cancer and eventually spread to her female organs and her liver.

I tell you, the more I read and hear, the more it makes even the widespread use of birth control pills suspect in my book.

On the bright side, however, cancer does not always mean the end. The young boy we know with bone cancer whom I mentioned a few posts back...just got his MRI back today after several weeks of chemo and some sort of cancer drug therapies, and the tumor on his leg is nearly gone!

Let's just trust the Lord in this, Sheri. Scripture tells us that He had our days marked out before we were ever born...the day of our birth and the day of our death. We're not going to leave this world one day sooner than He intended for us, you know?

Sheri said...

I totally agree about the birth control pills Becky. People really are playing russian roulette with there lives.

So true that God only knows the outcome of this. I have made peace with that in the past month.

Anonymous said...

I have always been a naturalist just because of all the cancer in my family- it just seems to risky. Thanks for the tip- I am headed over!