Friday, June 13, 2008


Ok, so how do you get your baby to sleep in its own bed? Did you start off with them in your bed and then move them to the baby bed after a few months? I obviously need help with this one. Grace still does not sleep own her own for more than a few hours a night. I wanted to sleep with her when she was a baby and I would rather not do that this time.

He is almost 3 months and I think that if I wait any longer he won't sleep alone. He is already a snuggler. I did get through a few hours last night but I kept checking on him. Maybe I am the problem?


The past couple of nights he has only had one bottle during the night. That means that I was up every 2 hours to nurse him instead of every 4 hours. I am feeling like I am back in the newborn stage without sleep! I wonder if my supply is up or if he is just eating less? His weight is at 12 lbs today.

4 comments:

Jane said...

no babies in my home as you know, but as a prior nanny and friend to many with children, here are my thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em...just don't hate me!

at 12 pounds, he should be sleeping much better, I would say if he is strictly breast... waking once would be okay. Do you have scales or know of someone's that you can borrow to see how much he is getting throughout the day?

I'm with your thought that he will soon be beyond the easy transition stage.
I have a VERY good friend who has given birth 9 times...ages 3-22...they joke of their family bedroom, not just a bed. Most nights they have daddy, mommy and 4 or 5 children sleeping in their bed or on the twin beds on the floor around mom and dad...so if you don't want everyone in the room till high school...ya might want to work on it now.

I'll be praying for YOU. You need your sleep and rest so you can feed your precious little boy. Your children also need their rest so they can grow and thrive too.

I know these transitions are tough...as a nanny I had to deal with a parents night time "habits" during the day. You CAN do it.

Anonymous said...

you know that i don't know the answer to this question.

good luck. i hope you find a suitable answer.

Anonymous said...

and if you do, let me know, k?

Becky said...

As nursing babies, it was just easier on me to have my babies in my bed with me for middle-of-the-night feedings, as it meant less disruption in our sleep having to get up to go get the crying baby.

I do believe it helped me to function better the next day, too. I found with our first that physically getting up in the night to feed him resulted in me being wide awake at 3 am, unable to get back to sleep.

Because our first was so hard to kick out of our bed (when we moved him out of his crib to a toddler bed, he kept crawling in with us in the night), I determined to go ahead and get our youngest in his own bed as soon as he was sleeping through the night...as in, no longer needing middle-of-the-night feedings.

The first few nights of this he wasn't too happy about the new arrangement and being put down in his own bed after his last feeding, but within a week or so, he realized this was the routine, and he settled in fine.