The gelatin you eat in Jell-O comes from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hooves, and connective tissues. To make gelatin, manufacturers grind up these various parts and pre-treat them with either a strong acid or a strong base to break down cellular structures and release proteins like collagen. After pre-treatment, the resulting mixture is boiled. During this process, the large collagen protein ends up being partially broken down, and the resulting product is called gelatin. The gelatin is easily extracted because it forms a layer on the surface of the boiling mixture.
Am I the only one who did not know this? My husband said he told me this a long time ago. I think that if he had I would have never eaten Jello or anything with Gelatin again. I am really grossed out!
Other things with Gelatin in them:
gummy bears
sour cream
cream cheese
cake icing and frosting
marshmallows
soups, sauces and gravies
canned ham and chicken
corned beef
sausage
gelcaps
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Hi there Sheri. I found your blog thru Adrienne's (noah steven) and I'm totally intrigued. I've heard gobs of information about food and it's vices (milk is good, milk is bad, carbs are good, carbs are bad, meat is good, meat is bad) but plastic and body products are not something I know much about in their harmfulness. Or...gelatin. Ew! My question to you is where do you get all of your information, and what set you on this path? An illness? A TV show? A word from God? Just curious....
Both of our pets died within 9 months. One of kidney failure and the other of cancer. Since our daughter was crawling around on the floor where they were, I had to figure out what was going on in our home. I first ran across the pvc website which made me take away her plastic flexible toys and replace our shower curtains. I then discovered how bad my cleaning products were. I bleached everything all the time! I was using bleach and toxic cleaners on everything because I was a germ freak(vinegar disinfects just as well as bleach). Now that I have stopped using this stuff if I am around it I can feel the difference. My favorite site is www.cosmeticdatabase.com You can check out your beauty products and see how bad they are.
Hope this helps.
SHeri
One more thinkg that set me on this path... My best friends son died of cancer during this same time frame. He was only 9 years old and had been battling it for 3 years. She and I lived the exact same lifestyle. It was a big wake up call.
Post a Comment