Monday, June 25, 2007

In search of a safe sippy cup

I walked into Babies R Us yesterday with complete confidence that I would find a sippy cup that was Bisphenol-A free. However, I had no such luck. When I asked the sales associate, she looked at me as if I has a third eye. "I have never heard of this. I am sure they all are(as I am thinking , yeah right!) But thanks for informing me" she replied. Here is what I think, If they were Bisphenol-A free, they would say it on the label or have a recycling number on the bottom of the cup. Like a 5(7 is Bisphenol-A). By the way, take a look at the bottom of your plastic baby food containers or your plastic apple sauce containers(#7). I recently found the Klean Kanteen. It is a bit pricey but not so much when you think of the benefits. Another good choice is born free.

Bisphenol-A is a potent endocrine disruptor that leaches out of plastic. http://www.bisphenolafree.org/ In fact many baby bottles have Bisphenol A in them. If you would like an alternative to this, you can buy playtex drop ins or glass baby bottles by evenflow. I did see those at Babies R Us for $5 for a pack of 3.
Has anyone found other safe sippy cups?

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Hi Sheri,

Glad to see you back again and Grace is still as cute as ever! I have never heard of the stuff in the plastic you were talking about. I'm not very "everything" natural I guess. I thought about it but never perused it....taking the easy way out I suppose. But I'm glad you are trying for a healthier enviornment!