Its hard to believe that the journey we have been on lately started with a shower curtain. I cannot remember how I even came across the dangers of PVC. It sure has changed our lives. PVC(polyvinylchloride) is a dangerous plastic in our childrens toys, shower curtains, and carpet just to name a few. It is labeled as a 3 on the recycling code.
http://www.besafenet.com/pvc/about.htm
The first thing we did is replace our vinyl shower curtains with EVA ones bought at Ikea. You can also purchase cotton or polyester ones. Target also carries all of these. Your shower curtain gives off toxic fumes(that new shower curtain smell).
Next we took a long hard look at our daughters toys. Most of which are plastic. I took away anything flexible.
All of this led me to investigate the other chemicals in our home. Number one: Bleach. I was a bleach fanatic. It was the most toxic chemical in our home. So I no longer use bleach for cleaning and laundry. Even the dishwasher detergent has bleach in it. So when your dishwasher lets out the steam during the wash, it is putting chlorine fumes in your house. I bought seventh generation cleaners(dish soap, spray cleaners, and laundry soaps) which seem to work well. I have experimented with other chemical free dishwasher detergents too. Once I got started I was absolutely shocked at the amount of toxic chemicals I have in my home. Even our hygiene products. I will talk about that later along with our journey to organic foods.
I started blogging again to have a place to put all of this information. It has changed our way of living and our health.
Saturday, June 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment