Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Name Game

Not only was I putting off getting things done around here, I have also put off deciding on a name. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I literally named Grace right before I walked out of the hospital. Why is this so hard? All I know is that the middle name will be John after my dad. And the last name ofcourse! The only name that I like so far is Noah. But, I am not sure how it sounds. I think I will look online at names. It can't be a name of anyone I have dated. That doesn't leave much. Kidding. We have also thought about Joshua(wouldn't want anyone to call him JJ) and my husband mentioned William, Nathan, and Matthew.
Hopefully, I will come up with something before I leave the hospital.

4 comments:

Becky said...

John is a great middle name that can go really well with just about anything. I think that Noah John and Matthew John both sound really cute together.

I recall people telling me that the trick to picking out the perfect name was weighing how the first and middle names sound with your last name, and then making sure the initials or shortened versions of the front names don't make something you find undesirable (like JJ...though I've known a couple of JJ's who had cowlicks and were totally adorable and the name was just PERFECT for each of them). Then figure out if you are going to be happy with other versions of that first name (Josh for Joshua, Matt for Matthew, etc.) Then you may wish to weigh how his name will sound with Graces and such when you are talking to them in the house.

Then there are other things to take into consideration...like whether or not you want his name to have a specific meaning or Biblical significance.

Personally, having had two boys, I think you should try the first and middle out along with your last name and yell it a few times, and see if it comes out smoothly. Think of how it will sound if you are yelling out the back door at your son when he's 5 and doing something naughty in the yard..."Noah John ____, get in this house!!" LOL...because trust me, with a boy, you'll be doing that a lot. From about 18 months of age on. ;0)

Sheri said...

Those are some really good things to think about. Especially the yelling. There is something about the name Grace that makes you think twice before yelling it! lol

Anonymous said...

i generally go here and try to pick one not in the top 25.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Except I really like the name Joshua. If we have a boy, my husband wants to name him Thor. Not gonna happen!

Anonymous said...

and i LOVE Noah.