We had a CBC and a lead test done the last time we took Grace to the doctor. They called us back with the results and said that her CBC was fine and the lead test was negative. However, when I got copies of the results I have a different opinion. Her CBC had a very high number for something abbreviated LY. An elevated LY means a presence of a viral infection. Hello! I have been saying that this rash is a viral infection and not eczema.
The lead test shows that her blood lead level is at 3 micrograms per deciliter. Which means she has been exposed to some lead. Now she is within the CDC's limit of less than 10. But, when you are told negative, you think NO LEAD. Right? I had saved a magazine article and it says that there is a new study that shows that kids with blood lead levels as low as 2 were at a fourfold increased risk for ADHD.
I would rather a doctor be upfront about everything instead feeling like things are sugarcoated or just overlooked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
I hope you'll call them back and talk to them about this.
There are so many other factors involved in ADHD - and you can use her diet to combat it (see Disease Proof Your Child). A 3 doesn't seem too bad to me, but really, what do I know? Only what "they" tell me. But I think a good diet, not very much TV, and lots of time to play outdoors will go a long way to keeping her from getting it.
Sheri - I wonder if it's possible for any of us to have a 0 at this point. We'd have to get rid of all our plastics, paint-covered metals, God knows what else.
Maybe it is time to change your doctor? I think I would be more worried that they ignored the virus over the lead...I guess I figure that no matter how hard you try or what you do, they will be exposed to things that they shouldn't...unless you literally put them in a bubble. I would seek a second opinion.
I agree we all most likely are exposed to some lead. I just wonder how much exposure is she having? And is it possible for it to be lower.
It is time for another doc. My husband and I were saying that the other day.
I hear you, Sheri. It's good that you look those reports over so thoroughly. You are your own best 'advocate' where the medical profession is concerned.
As with education and teachers, doctor's see dozens of people a day, and sadly, things can and do get overlooked simply because of the sheer numbers, and them only being one person it's virtually impossible to follow up on every detail (or to know every possible contributing factor) like a concerned parent would.
This is where the country doctors of old had things right. For one thing, they went from home to home visiting patients (rather than us sitting in germ-filled offices waiting to visit them), and often were able to see that certain things in the home could be contributing factors to certain illnesses (overly warm, stuffy, closed up homes being sort of and incubator for germs, for instance), and were able to make suggestions to the families to avoid further trouble in those areas.
It IS bothersome when a professional overlooks something so obvious as that Grace had a virus, but there usually isn't too much that can be done for a virus except to wait for it to run it's course.
I would suggest researching skin conditions as much as possible at a local bookstore or library. There is a really good book called, "Prescription for Natural Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC (fourth or fifth edition now), which is one I use as a standard in my house. It's loaded with important info for staying as healthy as possible. There are probably things that can be done diet and supplement-wise that might help lessen the severity of this virus and any future skin 'eruptions' or conditions like excema, etc.
Sometimes something as simple as a young child drinking too many sugary drinks (even too much juice) can be responsible for viruses hanging on for long periods of time, because they feed on sugars in the bloodstream. I'd work to cut out any sugars from her diet for a while.
Other things like too many white-flour starches in the diet, constipation and digestive factors in some children can be responsible for the body 'sloughing off' impurities through the skin. And then, for some children, deficiencies (even slight ones) can prevent the immune system from fighting things off in the best way possible.
As far as lead and toxins are concerned, the best we can do is to just be vigilant, well-informed and do what we can do to steer clear of as many of the things around us that could pose these risks to us and our children.
I know when my oldest was a baby, it all felt kind of daunting and scary to me as a new mom, but really illnesses have always been around. Most of the time, simply identifying and correcting the various factors (diet/nutrition, deficiencies, environmental factors (toxins), etc.) that contribute to illness and/or how well you and your children fight them off is the key. The more you know by way of researching it for yourself, the better equipped you are in fighting the bugs kids pick up.
Anyway, I know it's a challenge right now, being pregnant and no doubt tired of the runaround, but hang in there, friend...this too shall pass!
Post a Comment