Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day at the doctors

Grace, Em, and Dameron


Yesterday we spent the whole morning at the pediatricians with Grace for her 2 year well visit. We tried to address all of our concerns with him. Like the screaming which she demonstrated for him quite well. He said to ignore it when she is obviously doing it for attention. Like during the visit. When we go out to restaurants, we need to take her to the car, not just outside. That would be rewarding her. Which we have been doing. As for her aggressiveness, I need to tell her in a firm voice that it isn't a nice touch and then show her what a nice touch is. He also wants us to shut her up in a room for time outs. I don't know how I feel about this one. She has been saying bye lately and then shutting herself in a room and then breaking down. I also don't feel comfortable leaving her in a room without supervision. So, I don't know. He says this is just part of the age she is at. Fun.





He wants me to keep a diary of her words the next 2 weeks. He says that if it is under 50 then we can send her to a speech therapist. I can already tell you there is no way she says fifty words on a regular basis. I don't know if it is even 25. He says it needs to be words that she says often, not just one time. Usually, she will say a word that we do but then never says it again.





We went straight from there to the dentists. I have been having a toothache. I had a small cavity in it. Evidently, I am also grinding my teeth. I have no idea why? Ha Ha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't feel comfortable too leaving my girl by herself. Lately, we tried that technique (which I actually saw from some show - The Nanny, i think!) whereby it's supposed to be about a minute per year of age. i.e. three years old, three mins. But think the room has all her toys, etc. so she actually willingly goes in and when we shut the door, nothing happens. No crying. nothing. She doesn't seem to be affected at all. In fact, she sometimse just sits there to wait for us to open the door. Oh well, it doesn't work for us.

Becky said...

Awww, that little Dameron reminds me so much of my oldest boy at that age! He's almost 12 now, sniff, sniff. It goes so fast!

You sound like you had a busy day! Doctor and dentist in one fell swoop? You are a BRAVE woman, lol!

Sheri said...

That is exactly what the doctor said. A minute per age and then don't let her out if she continues to scream(which is what she would do!). Seems mean to me. She is already frightened by closed doors.