Monday, July 2, 2007

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?



This has been something that has really been weighing on me. Grace is due for her one year shots and I don't know what to do. Yes, there are a lot of sites on here that tell you not to do it. But what is suppose to be our decision, I can't seem to make one. Society tells us to, the pediatricians tell us to. Now, I have not discussed my reservations with our pediatrician. Maybe I should for some insight. Am I to just trust that whatever is in them is safe? I am sorry, but how can I? It has become quite evident that I cannot trust our government to make sure things are not harmful to our children. I do not know anyone that has not vaccinated to get some advice from.

8 comments:

somebody,somewhere said...

My step mom stumbled upon this sight and thought I should respond to it as my husband and I dealt with the same issue as our first child was born a year and half ago. We struggled whether or not beileve what doctors where trying to tell us. We spent hours of research and I myself am a nurse. We chose against vacinations and are very happpy with our decisions. We learned that there is alot of risk and unhealthy items placed in your childs body each time he receives a vacination. They arent even a 100% that your child will not contract the disease. After we weighed the risk and benefits we realized that to not vacinate was our best choice. I strongly encourage to do what your heart is telling you and stand strong for what you believe in this area. Our daughter is very healthy compared to my friends kids and I think that not invading her immune system with these vacinations is part of the reason why! God Bless you guys :)
Ashley Rye

Anonymous said...

If you plan to use any public school system at any time (college included, in most cases), vaccinations will be required. Having visited a 3rd world country recently where vaccines are not an option and disease is widespread, I would encourage you to think strongly about using them. Our son did get chicken pox, even after the vaccine, but it was a very mild case. There are still children who die every day from these diseases that we can vaccinate against. Praying for you as you decide....

Sandy said...

Hi Sheri,

What a cutie pie Gracie is!!

Anyways, about the vaccinations...I agree with anonymous, I don't believe you can even attend school without them. I know that's true for schools but I'm not sure about anything else. I think it's your own personal decision on what to do. I DID elect to have my son vaccinated for his own safety. But like I said, it's a personal decision and everyone has their own reasons for the choices they make. No one person is right or wrong. Good Luck in your decision!!

somebody,somewhere said...

I'm the step mom of Ashley who posted and I work at a school and I know that we have a form that you can sign stating that you did not vaccinate for religious or other reasons and that would go in your child's school file - the child would still be able to attend school - don't know if different states have different laws regarding this, but I know I checked on it when Ashley decided not to vaccinate her little one - I have 3 daughters - 13, 10 and 8 and they all received vaccinations so I thought their decision was "not normal", but their little girl is one of the healthiest children I know. I have other friends who have decided against them too, and I have come to realize that it has to be a very personal decision :)

Sheri said...

I do know you are right about the religious exemption. I did find out about that too when researching this.
Thank you all for your telling me about your experiences.

Anonymous said...

I've also never heard about not vaccinating your kid. In fact, here where I'm staying people are vaccinating a lot and I'm the one who's seem to be "left behind" so to speak because all my friends' kids got chicken pox and pneumoccocal vaccinations way before I did (some when they were wee infants). Mine is going for her pneumo as I type! But this is definitely something to think about and I'll look out for more information on why not to vaccinate.

Erin Szczerba said...

Sheri,
I did not vaccinate Jackson. There are some very educational books on this subject but it is certainly a personal decision. I am very happy with my decision and will not vaccinate our next child either. If we were to travel to a 3rd world country, I would definitely vaccinate...because then the risk of contracting a disease would, in fact, outweigh the risk of vaccine injury.
Just remember, the government does not have Grace's best interest at heart. And the pharmaceutical world doesn't either...it's all about MONEY!

Anonymous said...

Hi -
Just something to think about.
Depending where you live or work, the third world may come to visit or work with you. Last year my place of business( global corporate co.) had a measle ( or was it mumps, I alway confused those two) warning because someone for one of 'em there third world countries was working in the building, didn't have all his shots, went home for a visit and brought it back.