Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Have you ever gone to the doctor and walked out with more questions than when you went in? That is how I feel after Grace's doctors visit. She has had a rash on the right side of her body for a week and a half and it is spreading but is still on the right side. He takes one look at it and says "oh its eczema".
She has been even been itching in her vagina like crazy and crying. So he recommended putting lotions filled with a bunch of chemicals all over her several times a day. Not a prescription but aquaphor or something like that. It looks like poison ivy to me. I don't see how her itching so much in her vagina is eczema. Sorry to use that word so much. Putting lotion on her body isn't going to stop that itch!
Anyways, I felt like it was a wasted visit. He didn't even tell us when her next check up should be. I certainly didn't think to ask with a screaming child. Seriously, today was a very trying day as a mom. My morning involved poop and baby powder. And not where they should be. Oh, and a lot of crying. Everyone at the doctors office, including the doctor, kept giving me the pity look. Like they were thinking, "wow she has her hands full with that one". I sure do.

5 comments:

Maya Papaya said...

i would take her to a different doctor. seriously. you don't put lotion on "girl parts" and if it is eczema then i would want more information that just a diagnosis. he didn't suggest any sort of antihistamine or anything? i would be looking up photos of eczema to see if it looked similar. the two rashes may also be unrelated.

i found this, which is probably no help at all: http://pampers.com/en_US/learning/page/exp_question_details/contentId/15040/topicId/205.do;jsessionid=5BVGB0ZIXAGGHQFIASHH0NGAVACI25K0

i went to the doctor on monday because i have had this pain in my upper left abdomen for more than a year. it's the second doctor i've been to about this. she said she wanted to give me valtrex because it "could" be shingles. i'm nursing so i said no. she said she couldn't help me. so i know how you feel about a wasted trip to the doctor. :-(

Carey said...

You poor girls! Maybe you should get a second opinion?

I used to put Triple paste on my daughter for diaper rashes, it worked great.

Maybe try Aveeno...They have a wonderful baby lotion and oatmeal bath...That might help her itch. (Just be careful because the oatmeal bath makes the tub super slick.)

Jane said...

two things...are you using baby powder in her diapers? I was told by an OB/GYN that you should NOT use baby powder in girls diapers. There is some thinking that the talk leads to cervical cancer. cornstarch is a GREAT alternative.

As for the rash...try plain yogurt (with active cultures) PG-13 here.. I use it to bathe with when I get any yeast signs. or when I am spending much time in a bathing suit/pool/lake. And I have heard of ladies freezing the yogurt to leave them in and cool things down.

Thought with your "natural" desires you would like this.

And I agree with Maya...a different doctor would be good.

Sheri said...

Thanks guys! I am definitely going to take her to a dermatologist. I will also post some pics tomorrow.
I didn't see a rash in her diaper area but it is very red and swollen from her itching it. No, I don't put baby powder on her. She dumped mine all over the place today. And the poo, well that was another incident today. Too gross to talk about....

Becky said...

Talc is sort of like eye shadow...it reacts differently on everyone. Even just a little bit on some people can cause hives and other reactions.

Has your daughter gotten into anything inadvertantly? Sitting on the same surface where a pet with flea powder has been, for instance?

Have you used a new laundry detergent (or fabric softener or dryer sheets) recently? We all have sensitive skin, and have to use hypo-allergenic laundry detergent and NO dryer sheets or softeners around here.

When my older son had chicken pox, I put oatmeal in a big sock, tied it off, and then soaked that in the tub with him. After drying off your daughter, squeeze some of the gooey liquid out of the sock onto the affected areas, and let it dry there. This was very soothing for chicken pox.

I'd definitely get a second opinion from another doctor, though, especially if it has spread to her, um, nether regions.

Hope that helps, and that you gals are feeling better soon!