I finally made it to my doctor's appointment yesterday. I was shocked when she said that I haven't been since November. Well, it seems that I have become anemic. I guess that would explain why I have been feeling dizzy and fatigued lately. It also feels like no matter how deep I breath I cannot get enough oxygen. Of course I did not tell my doctor any of this. I always assume everything is because I am pregnant.
The doctor said to eat more iron. Did you know that what you eat with iron rich foods decides how well your body absorbs it? Foods rich in vitamin C help you absorb it while foods with calcium inhibit absorption. Also, your body absorbs iron from animal sources more easily than from plant sources. Since I am a vegetarian, I need to work harder at getting iron. Last night I started getting very dizzy so the doctor wants me to come back in tomorrow. Honestly, I am not too clear on what foods to eat together yet. A can of beans and an orange doesn't sound very appetizing does it?
We are procrastinating. The next couple of months are going to be crazy. Not only will we be having a baby but we have to move. Unfortunately, we do not know where we are going to move to. We don't even have a city pinned down yet. Ugh! Did I mention we haven't started packing yet?
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
come to SC! but you said city...are you staying in TX?
raw spinach salads, broccoli, black beans (soups, stews, chili)...that's all I have off the top of my head.
how's your blood pressure?? what about extra iron supplements? Make sure you get enough fiber...iron will make things back up in a hurry.
Keep us posted!
You are moving to a whole new city? WOW!
Sorry to hear you have been dizzy and all and I hope it turns out to be nothing! Take care. Kellan
I was anemic too...I took this iron supplement -- it was gross! I ate a lot of spinach and nuts and drank grapefruit juice...mmmm. And make sure you get plenty of fiber too...
;)
The book I have, Your Vegetarian Pregnancy says that spinach also keeps you from absorbing iron. I love spinach salads.
My blood pressure is good. The doctor said that I didn't have to take a supplement yet. But that may change later. Yeah, I definitely do not need to be backed up more than I already am.LOL
My husband drives almost an hour to get to work now. We live in a city south of houston. He would like to live closer to work.
Sheri - I don't think that spinach keeps you from absorbing iron. One of the reasons to eat spinach is for the iron! Double check that and maybe search the internet, but I've never heard that before.
But I do know that if you drink tea with your meal, the tannins in tea can inhibit iron absorption.
Here's a good site:
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm
And if you have one, you can cook things in an iron skillet.
I'll email you more...
A really good way to build your blood up quickly (due to anemia, which I also a borderline case of with my last pregnancy)is to go to the Health Food store and get a bottle of chlorophyll (usually in the refrigerated section), and take a teaspoon every morning. It's hard to choke down, so I reccomend following it with a chaser of OJ, but it helps to correct that pretty quick. I also took a Kelp supplement (in capsule form), and never had a problem with it again.
Hopefully by now (10 days after this post), you know about Floradix and Black Strap Molasses. When I was pregnant and anemic (I could hear my heart pounding in my ears!), I took both of those as iron supplents along with orange tablets. It solved the problem quickly.
It's sad your doctor didn't give you those recommendations. Dang DRs!!
Post a Comment