Wednesday, August 27, 2008

We didn't get to move on Monday. The apartment still isn't ready. I am getting pretty stressed since we have to be out of here in a few days. I am crossing my fingers that it will be ready for us to move on Friday. Meanwhile, I am blogging to avoid packing. HeHe

This week has been quite eventful. Grace started "school" on Tuesday. She did great as I took her into the room. She ran right in and started playing like she owned the place. She even brushed me off when I tried to say goodbye. So, I went home, fed the baby, and the phone rings. One hour has passed. "Can you come and get Grace? She started off great but keeps crying and pinched someone."
So I get dressed, put the wrap back on, and head back up to get her. When I got there she wasn't crying but started up once I walked into the room. Her eyes were red and swollen from crying. She was pretty distraught. They said she would be fine and then would just break down. Especially when they went from one thing to another. She completely freaked out when they put hand sanitizer on her hands. She doesn't like her hands to be dirty and that stuff is sticky. Plus, we have never used it before so I am sure it felt strange to her.
Her class has 3 teachers. One was looking at me concerned like something was really wrong with her emotionally and the other just looked at me like your daughter is nuts. I am not sure what to think. They didn't even get out her blanket or bear as a comfort item. I wasn't the only parent called in an hour. They called 3 other parents just because their kids were crying. Not as bad as mine but gees, it was the first day, of course kids are going to be upset. Are they just trying to clear out the class or what? There is usually a waiting list for this class so maybe they feel they can just weed out the ones that are not easy? She is supposed to go again in the morning. This time I am not leaving. I think I will observe through the door if they let me. I may let her stay a little while and build up from there. I am not sure how long I should give this.

Noah turned 5 months old yesterday. He is "talking" all the time and rolling all over the place to get his sister's toys.
He has woken up twice just while writing his post. Last night I was up at 2, 4, 5, 6, and then 7 nursing. Looks like it is going to be a long night again. I bought a Medela freestyle pump on Monday but haven't been able to use it yet because my stove is covered in stuff to pack. I have to sterilize it first. My supply seems really low so I need to build it up.

Today both kids cried all day. I felt like stretch armstrong again. It really sucks to have to chose which child to comfort. Neither of them were happy today no matter what I did.

Praying for tomorrow to be better......

4 comments:

Becky said...

Bummer on the move not working out just yet. Oy. Hate those kinds of glitches. But better that it's ready before than them needing to come in and do stuff after the move.

Aww, Grace. Has she been apart from you for long stretches before, like say in the church nursery? It could just be a case of her sensing there is all kinds of change in the air (packing and moving, etc.) and just not knowing quite how to cope with 'school' just yet. I'd give it a couple of days but if she still continues on like she doesn't understand why she's there, then just pull her home.

It's hard for moms to choose which baby to comfort, but it's possible to comfort both. Soothing a fussy baby while nursing can be done while cuddling the other child, too. Separate rocking chair time with each child is helpful, too.

Hope all goes well and you all can move into the new place on time!

Anonymous said...

goodness gracious, sheri.

they should really let you stay there with grace and let you build it up. that will be easier on them anyway. grace needs to see that she's in a safe place before she can focus on anything else. if they won't let you stay, i don't think i'd let her continue there.

that's just my opinion, though.

so when CAN you move in? monday?

Anonymous said...

i agree with becky - with the move and everything, it might be too hard on grace to start school too.

Danielle said...

That makes me sad. Sometimes at school if kids are sad and miss their moms they bring a picture in to help them feel better. It seems starnge they called you and did not try to comfort her.

Also, did they ask you if they could use hand sanitizer on her? some have ingredietnts in them that aren't really safe for kids. I know you are going through a lot and I am not intedning to add any morw stress but I recen;ty saw this article and when you said hand sanitizer I thought of it again.
http://www.greenandcleanmom.org/triclosan-and-a-non-toxic-classroom/