Monday, December 17, 2007

Low or No VOC Paint

We bought this baby doll bed for Grace for Christmas at Ikea. I was thinking I could paint it white using a no VOC(volatile organic compound) paint. I have not had much luck finding this type of paint. After visiting Lowes and getting a dumbfounded look and calling Home Depot and getting the response "they all are" I knew we were in trouble. I remembered seeing an ad in a magazine for Sherwin Williams saying that they had a no VOC paint. I made a trip there and evidently they are not familiar with what they carry either. She said they had a low VOC paint but not a no VOC paint. She then picks up the paint can and says "Oh it is a no VOC paint". For $40 a gallon! She also says that they do not have a low VOC paint(their web site says differently). I am thinking that Grace won't mind the natural finish after reading the data sheets on the 2 paints. Both said they have ingredients that cause cancer, birth defects, and contain lead. I guess they are not so "green" after all.

2 comments:

Kellan said...

Yes, the natural look works just fine - it's a shame this paint is so hard to find or so costly - one day it will hopefully be different. Have a good week. Kellan

Jane said...

we should go back to the days of Cleopatra where they used berries to stain everything. I love to paint, but really can't deal with the fumes. There are three rooms in our house that need painted...I may do those just before I go home to my parents in January...then I won't have to deal with the smell for the two weeks I will be gone.