Monday, March 31, 2008

Finding the time to get on the computer isn't so easy anymore. Today I think I reached complete exhaustion.
The labor went well. The nurses and doctor were telling me that I was not in active labor and they wanted to send me home wed morning. I looked at them and said "I am not going home, this baby is coming." I was having contractions 5 min apart the entire time and they became pretty unbearable. I had to beg for pain medication and it took them hours to give me any. One nurse finally felt sorry for me(not my nurse) and called for the epidural. By then it was too late. Unless just my stomach needed to be numb. Ha! I dilated very quickly from 5 to 10 and they had to break my water. He was out in 3 pushes and a lot of screaming only because I resisted it.

I have been having milk supply issues and caught a cold once we came home. Coughing, a weak bladder, and stitches isn't cool. He has been jaundice and lethargic(because of the lack of milk). It feels like I breastfeed for 20 hours a day and I can't keep up. We have been supplementing some formula to get his strength back up. He is so sleepy, he falls asleep constantly while I am nursing him. I go and see a lactation consultant tomorrow.

Grace isn't handling it well. My husband cannot leave her sight. Tonight she and I have had some cuddle time and I am loving it.

Noah is having his circumcision in the morning.

I have to go now, I am being summoned for milking.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Aww, Sheri, I know it's rough, but stick with it, friend. The consultation should help matters immensely. Just keep reminding yourself that it's what is best for little Noah if at all possible. You're passing on immunities, helping with his jaw development, and giving him perfect nutrition and really good nurturing and bonding time with you.

Are you getting enough to drink yourself? Nursing takes a lot out of you, and if you're not getting enough fluids, can affect your milk supply. I wasn't very hungry for a few days after my flu/emergency c-section, but was able to drink milk with chocolate ovaltine mixed in. Later, I switched to plain milk, juice and ice water (sipping on something whenever I was nursing, or I'd get horribly thirsty).

I also ate lots of things that had calcium and magnesium in them (whole grains, brown rice, nuts, etc.) which help make the milk rich. Homemade chicken soup (from chicken on the bone) adds a good form of very absorbable calcium to the broth.

There is also a tea from the health food store that contains herbs that help to increase the milk supply. Seems like it was called, "Mother's Milk" tea or something like that. I drank it for those first couple of weeks to help ensure enough milk. The important thing is to just get into a good groove with nursing, and your body will begin to produce as much as Noah needs.

Garlic is said to sweeten the milk and make the baby nurse longer(sounds odd, but is true).

I'll be praying it all works out for you and Noah. I know it's rough those first couple of weeks. You'll get in a good groove soon...hang in there.

Andrea said...

I can only imagine what my first few weeks at home with 2 kids will be like...probably much like yours...and although I am looking forward to meeting our 2nd little one, I can't say I'm looking forward to stitches, all the adjustments, etc...but you will make it through (and so will I! I hope! ;) ). I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers!! Take care of yourself, ok?

Jane said...

thanks for the update... it helps to know the specifics of your prayer needs.

I totally understand the coughing and stitches issue! YIKES!!!

ditto to Becky's are you drinking enough? Make sure the consultant knows that you are not a meat eater. What you put into your body makes a difference in many ways.

praying for you girl!

Danielle said...

I feel so bad you are having trouble. Breast feeding was one of the hardest things I have every done..and I barely did it at thatr. It is very good you are seeing an LC. Hang in there- those first few weeks are the roughest. Take a blog break- we aren't going anywhere.

Carey said...

Hang in there! I had trouble producing milk too, and had to supplement. It is tough, but it looks like you got some great suggestions (I will have to remember myself;) )
Thanks for keeping me in your prayers, I am praying for you and your family too!