Friday, March 21, 2008

I went and had an ultrasound done yesterday. It is still a boy. They said everything looked good other than I am having another big-headed baby. The weight was estimated at 7# 14 oz. I believe that is the same weight Grace was estimated at but she came out 6.8 lbs.

Today I went to my first La Leche meeting. It was really nice to be around other mom's and to talk about concerns. I really need a good support system this time around. It was also nice to get out by myself. Something that I cherish these days. I have been feeling very overwhelmed lately. I feel like I haven't been doing a good job as a mother. Grace has been very aggressive towards us. My patience isn't as good as it should be. It worries me because if I am not handling things well now, how well am I going to handle them once this baby comes and there is more stress and less sleep.

On a lighter note, how much toilet paper does one need? I guess we need 120 rolls! It was such a good deal we couldn't pass it up. 1.99 for 12 big rolls of Charmin. My hubby went into walmart for a price match. Of course they fought him on it but he got it done. I was laughing at him and said "I wonder what people were thinking about you, stomach flu?" lol

4 comments:

Becky said...

I'm so glad you'll have the support of the La Leche league. Nursing is so good for the baby and for you on so many levels.

Don't get down on yourself, girl...every pregnant mom feels like this towards the end of the 2nd pregnancy, because having another baby is a big adjustment. It may be a bit overwhelming at first, but it won't be that way forever. It just takes some time to get the hang of parenting two. ;)

Grace is just at that really active stage right now, having been walking for a bit and gaining some independence and exploring the world around her. SHe's probably also sensing that change is in the air. Children, even little tots, are intuitive that way. They also learn to 'work the system' early on...sensing when mom is exhausted, distracted or indisposed, and using those opportunities to test the boundaries.

Take heart, eventually, with consistency and follow-through, Grace will learn who is boss, and will learn boundaries of right and wrong, and her behavior will (for the most part) shape up to where you want it to be.

Keeping her as busy as can be while you're up and about will probably help, and then when you are feeling tired (or nursing) pop in a favorite movie put your feet up and rest a bit. My mom had 4 of us within 6 years, and often read to the older kids when she was nursing the baby. It kept things quieter, kept us within reach, and generally was a pretty cozy time for all. Babies respond well to mama's gentle voice any which way they hear it, and reading is great for toddlers.

Yay for hubby scoring on the good deal on T.P., lol! About once every three months, I go in and buy four 12 packs of ScottTissue at KMart when it's $6 a package. I didn't think a thing of it until my husband was along once and said, "Geez...people are probably thinking we have problems!" LOL!

Danielle said...

I really wish I had gone to a La leche meeting before I had the baby. I really could have used the support when I was breast feeding Eliza. If I am blessed enough to have another baby I will get myself to a meeting way before the baby is born! Hang in there with your little one. I can't even imagine having a child while being pregnant. I barely made it through when it was just me! * You can never have too much TP!

Andrea said...

I am definitely having some of the same feelings as you! Mainly the ones about "how am I ever going to handle having TWO kids when I feel like I'm not able to handle it all that well right now." But at the same time...I know that when that time comes, we will handle it somehow! It just seems overwhelming somedays. And as for TP...I'd definitely not be able to pass up a deal like that either! haha. :)

Jane said...

no, just a toddler that will discover the toilet paper roll and waste most of it! Wow, at that price, I would be tempted to by a ton more and donate to ladies shelters, children's homes, halfway homes and such!

I'll be praying for your strength to deal with Grace and Baby Boy. I can't imagine being in your shoes, but see so many of my friends having more than one child. You will get through this too!

Support is AWESOME!